Thread: Does the 24 valve isb make more hp and torque than a 12 valve

Default Does the 24 valve isb make more hp and torque than a 12 valve

I know the 12 valve 6bt cummings engine is much easier to put in a m715 and that you can turn up the horse power with a screw on the fuel pump . So i have 2 questions . 1 how much hp and torque can you gain total and how and what parts do you need to use to get a much higher hp and torque out of it ??? And for # 2 on the 24 valve common rail isb engine , other than it being much more complicated to install because of the wiring and computer would it be a good choice for our trucks ??? Also what would you have to do to it to get the hp and torque up in it ???? As for me im a electrical engineer and the wirring and computer is not a big deal to me just want to make sure that the engine i put in will not be regretful later down the road and wished i went another way . As much imfo and opion as you can give would be helpful im sure .

Your overthinking it... just put that monster in and let it eat! More HP and torque than you need.

No im not over thinking this , i need to know the things i ask , and i need to know the pros and cons of both engines .

Ive read all of this before but i need someone who has installed a 2004 and up isb engine to tell me what they think of the swap . And need someone who has increased the hp and torque of the 12 valve and 24 valve and what did they do to get it up . Is the only reason why everyone goes with the 12 valve is because it just doesnt have the wiring and computer ??

Blog Entries

Did you ever install that ISB ......if so please tell me more! i have also wondered why people shy away from them if all it is is wiring. 170HP stock and benefits of computer controlled engine. Granted if your M715 is go apocalypse go buggy then one upper atmosphere EMP and you're done driving that one.

The 24 valve utilizes the VP44 fuel injection pump. The VP44 isn't known for its 'reliability.' per say... and does NOT enjoy dirty fuels/waste oil/alternative fuels.

The VP44 doesn't enjoy cold weather starts compared to a P pump... let alone a VE rotary pump which is considered the cold weather king.

Also the added complexity of potential electric lift pumps etc all add to make the mechanical 12 valve (P-pump or VE rotary) more and more user friendly.

Tack that on to the fact that there were some block issues on the 24 valve early on (research "53 block issues" ... casted 53 blocks were plagued with cracking).

And only using 1 wire sure cleans up an engine bay. I was very happy on how mine turned out and its drive-ability and modest power bump. (My engine has a slight bump on the power screw and a 3200rpm governor spring installed and that's it)

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    The 24 valve utilizes the VP44 fuel injection pump. The VP44 isn't known for its 'reliability.' per say... and does NOT enjoy dirty fuels/waste oil/alternative fuels.

The VP44 doesn't enjoy cold weather starts compared to a P pump... let alone a VE rotary pump which is considered the cold weather king.

Also the added complexity of potential electric lift pumps etc all add to make the mechanical 12 valve (P-pump or VE rotary) more and more user friendly.

Tack that on to the fact that there were some block issues on the 24 valve early on (research "53 block issues" ... casted 53 blocks were plagued with cracking).

And only using 1 wire sure cleans up an engine bay. I was very happy on how mine turned out and its drive-ability and modest power bump. (My engine has a slight bump on the power screw and a 3200rpm governor spring installed and that's it)

Is this really necessary ??? Offer still stands ... cash!

Making the rest of us look bad again... Not fair!

PS. I see you still have the H1C. Keep your eyes open for an HX35W or an WH1C (typically very cheap). You'll be surprised at how much more usable power you get (not peak power).