Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: rockwell axles

Default rockwell axles

I might have a set of these for my truck instead of swapping the one ton setup ... I have questions ....

1- the front axle seems not to be a problem ... but what about the rear ?? does the springs need to be relocated ?? because each time a see a rocwell on the back of those trucks they are having rear disk conversion .. but what happends if you keep the stock drums ??

2- What about driveline in the rear ?? I read that you must turn around the rockwell to recenter the diff ??

BTW .... canadien rockwells comes with double beadlock

This is Tom Lawlor 2005 TTC M715 ..... maybe a picture help understanding what i need to know about thoses rockwell !!

Thanks a lot !!

Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

It looks to me as if the disc conversion was done only for an upgrade. The springs still look to be in the same place as stock, and there should be no reason that the springs wouldn't clear the stock drums..

I'm sure someone more familiar with the truck will chime in soon to clarify.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I left my springs in the stock location. The u-bolts touched the backing plate of the stock drum brakes. I never tried to put a wheel on as I was going to remove the drums. I had to grind down the tapered edge of the axle tube so the spring perch would sit flush.
    If you use a non steering axle in the rear, there is no reason to turn the center chunk. You could just turn the whole axle around.
    If you run across any extra 2.5 ton military bead locks please let me know. I would like to have a set.

I seem to remember that the drums were god awful heavy, and the disc brake swap took off a crazy amount of weight- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Quote Originally Posted by 503m715 View Post
    I left my springs in the stock location. The u-bolts touched the backing plate of the stock drum brakes. I never tried to put a wheel on as I was going to remove the drums. I had to grind down the tapered edge of the axle tube so the spring perch would sit flush.

If you use a non steering axle in the rear, there is no reason to turn the center chunk. You could just turn the whole axle around.
    If you run across any extra 2.5 ton military bead locks please let me know. I would like to have a set.
    Thanks .... i got the same problem with my 14bolts ... it's a tight fit with the disk brake conversion.

What have you used for the disk conversion on the Rockwells ??

So just turn around the axle .... just simple as that !!!

Will check for another set a cdn beadlock ... a friend of mine ( military ) can buy directly at his location .... he's curently bidding on 3 complete 2½T trucks. But the backspacins seems to be little different but should be near the M35 backspacing.

BTW .... do you have extras pictures of your truck with the rockwell and tires installed ?? I'd loved to see thems !!! THANKS
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

The Rockwell axles have crazy heavy brakes. Tom did his disc brakes for better braking and huge weight loss. His USA 6x6 (Thank goodness they are going out of business so they don't rip anybody else off) rotors and calipers squeaked like crazy all over the trails at LBL in 2004.

Here are some pictures I took of the truck at LBL. Notice Doug blocking the shot in one of them:

Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Oh, the noise was caused by dirt and junk in the brakes, not by something Tom did. He had to basically remake the kit Daniel sent him to make it work.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

This is what exactly those cdn beadlock look likes ..........

Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

On the rear, most prefer to flip the hubs 180* so the wheel track is the same as the front without having one wheel offset opposite of the other. That in itself is going to make it difficult to run the stock rear brakes. I'm sure you could make a spacer and such for the backing plate, just not sure if it's worth the effort to run drums and find a master cylinder and assist unit that will have them functioning correctly.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

It's why i have so much questions and need answers before buying thems .... because my current setup is almost finish but not bolted under the truck .... I don't know much more about the canadien 2½T but on the pic of the green/black chevy truck .... the guy just remove the rockwell from the donor and bolt directly under his truck ... the front and rear seems to have exactly the same width ... and nothing had been modifiy.
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer