Thread: Is it a factory Mil Spec 230?

Default Is it a factory Mil Spec 230?

I recently got a 67 715. The 230 that is in the vehicle looks to be the original motor however the motor mounts aren't fctory and there is a breather on the lower driver side of the block that is not original. My question to the forum is what are the tell tale signs that the 230 is indeed the original or a civvy version that was retro fitted in?

Thanks

Location of the motor mounts will tell all.

If they are 1/3 of the way back on the block, its military.

If they are on the bottom outside edges of a steel shim plate that is sandwiched between the timng cover and the front of the block and head, its civilian.

thanks for the info. It is a civy motor that is in my rig. That is kind of a drag. I think that in light of all the drive train issues that I have with my rig I am going to modernize the drive train and keep the exterior looking stock instead of restoring to that original olive drab luster.

I only know of one civvy 230 in an M715...a guy in New England had that last I knew...any idea where your truck has been before you got it?

I don't know much about the trucks past. I picked it up in Colorado. There are still markings on the truck but very faint. I was going to color sand the markings to see if I can make some sens of the markings. I had to do this in the past for a WC that I used to have and it led to some interestning findings. I highly doubt that the civy motor was put in by Kiaser as the inner fenders were cut rather crudely for the motor mount attachment to the frame. It must have been the same folks that cut the hole in my front crossmember.

No way the factor did it.

Actually the one I know about was done very well by the guy who did the artwork on this for the site a looooong time go: