Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed it!

Talking Fixed it!

I am almost embarrased to post this but I fixed my miss today. I ordered a whole new set of plugs, put them in and whoa what a difference.
    Engine runs very smooth and even has some pulling power now. Thanks to a sticky throttle cable I even barked the left rear tire in reverse...wow.
    How long does it take for rings to seat in an engine like this? It still smokes a little when I let off the gas. White puffy smoke, not black smelly.

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post

How long does it take for rings to seat in an engine like this? It still smokes a little when I let off the gas. White puffy smoke, not black smelly.
    From my experience, about 35 years. Glad its going right, there is no doubt these engines pull strong. They rev-up a little slow, but I like the way they run. Just got tired of working on them.

Great! Now clean your old ones and put them back in until you are going to drive the truck on the road so you don't foul the new ones all up too.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Happy day...ENJOY!!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Hey Tim, I've tried blasting them and soaking them in gasoline and neither seems to keep them clean and running right after they've been fouled. What do you use to clean your plugs?
    Mine are wet and black.

Glad it was a simple fix!!!

One thing they might have are microscopic cracks in the porcelain tips, you may not see them, but may misfire in use. And those carbon deposits are baked on pretty tough, too. At 6 or 7 or 10 bucks apiece, it isn't cheap to replace all 6, but worth it the way the engine runs now.

Scott

I have brand new plugs in mine.Truck runs strong no oil on plugs, good compression. Every 35-50 miles they come out due to carbon fouling on at least 2 cyl's. Is this a 230 common problem? I've heard of the coca cola trick.
    Anybody tried this?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    I have brand new plugs in mine.Truck runs strong no oil on plugs, good compression. Every 35-50 miles they come out due to carbon fouling on at least 2 cyl's. Is this a 230 common problem? I've heard of the coca cola trick.
    Anybody tried this?
    Never tried Coca Cola, but the old trick we always used was to bring the engine up to around 2,000 RPM, and trickle a bit of water down the throat of the carb, keepingit running while doing it.

The water will crystallize the carbon and break it loose, sending it out the tailpipe.....in theory. If an engine is really carboned up badly though, I have seen loose carbon stick in valves, and cause a miss before. That is in an extreme case though.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Try some seafoam and marvel mystery oil to break the carbon loose.