Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M715 question

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    If you have access to a machinist buddies.... an NP200/205 brake conversion is simple (cost me a case of beer)

(Have to mill in the NP205 bearing housing bores into the NP200 rear retainer plate.)
    Yeah I think I need to find some machinist buddies haha

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I run mine with the stock drivetrain and rather enjoy it, but I do that aware of certain limitations.

First, 45 indicated is Vne, except for very short periods of time. I took a 360-mile road trip last summer with zero t-case problems, but I had to get creative at times in order to stay off the interstate. I also run Amsoil 85-140 oil. Second, I won't go to the mountains on a summer weekend because I don't want hold up traffic climbing hills.

As long as I'm mindful of these limitations, I enjoy driving the stock configuration-- it's the way it felt, sounded, drove in '67.
    Wow yeah a 360 mile road trip in a stock M715 is something. I guess one plus for around here where I live is it’s completely flat as far as the eye can see, but the hills start showing up the further Northwest you go and I did plan to take it up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
    Wow yeah a 360 mile road trip in a stock M715 is something. I guess one plus for around here where I live is it’s completely flat as far as the eye can see, but the hills start showing up the further Northwest you go and I did plan to take it up that way.
    Yeah, and you're at low elevation so you'll have more power. I think you'll find the stock engine in your truck will be surprisingly...adequate for daily driving. If you've ever driven an FJ40, a 715 with its 230 will be very familiar.

360 miles is a drop in the bucket: Don Cavey drove his coast to coast, IIRC.

Wow coast to coast?! That’s a trip...yeah I think you’re right about the stock engine. I’m going to check the compression on it when I get some time off next week and see how it’s looking. One problem I can see right out in the open is the wiring is a birds nest of a mess, so I’ll post some pics and see what y’all think. Also the bed that came with it is in pretty bad shape and looks like it’ll need quite a bit of work to save it. I’ll post more detailed pics of it tmrw as well. I was thinking about putting on a utility bed or one of those aluminum beds that have the fold down sides you see on those Home Depot trucks you can rent. I’d like to save the bed if possible though because I want it to look original, but it would definitely need an all new floor and some work on the sides.

Yeah, and you're at low elevation so you'll have more power. I think you'll find the stock engine in your truck will be surprisingly...adequate for daily driving. If you've ever driven an FJ40, a 715 with its 230 will be very familiar.

360 miles is a drop in the bucket: Don Cavey drove his coast to coast, IIRC.
    I haven't driven my present M-715 coast to coast. But... in the army, I put thousands and thousands of miles on the trucks when they were only about two years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I haven't driven my present M-715 coast to coast. But... in the army, I put thousands and thousands of miles on the trucks when they were only about two years old.
    I stand corrected, Don. I wonder where I got that idea.

Might be the picture of the speedo with my truck going about 80-MPH in Germany

We had a member from New Jersey that drove to Seattle pulling a M101. Then back again one summer several years ago.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
    Yeah that sounds like a hell of a job, I wonder if I can pull that off. Yeah I also have the fender flares and the brush guard
    Like Venominjected said, the brake hardware swap isn't that complicated.
    I think I paid 150ish for the 32 spline flange and a new yoke. And 60 to have the 200 bearing retainer milled to fit the 205. And had the new flange milled, drilled and tapped for the brake drum to mount on... Don't remember what that was (not a lot) because they were doing a lot of other machine work for the engine I was building.
    There isn't a complete "how to" thread on doing it and that makes it a lot harder than it should be.

Once you get familiar with your truck and get more wrenching experience you'll be up to the job.

I figured cost of the divorced 205 into my ranking. They're starting to get rare.
    Might be cheaper and easier to find an old wrecked Blazer or GM pickup with a married 205 or 208 and use the trans and transfer case for it, if you go with a 350 swap.

Unlimited options with these things...

I stand corrected, Don. I wonder where I got that idea.
    I think you were thinking of randygar. He drove from Eureka CA to NJ. He has some of his trip here on the zone and a blog on it.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._kVBj90EI1GJfy