Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front knuckle housing

Default Front knuckle housing

How is the old lube drained out of the front knuckle housing? I cleaned up all around the fill plugs before I'm going to remove them, and I know the housing gets filled until fluid reaches fill plug hole. Does it need to be pumped out with a hand pump? Also can I use the same 80/85/90 weight oil I used in the transfer case, trans, and differentials?
    Also the same basic question for the removal and filling of the steering gear housing. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

According to the manuals, the military steering knuckles use grease to fill not gear oil. Civilian applications use gear oil. Some people on both sides of that fence make a mixture of about 50% of each gear oil and grease and put that in...it has the nickname of "knuckle pudding". This keeps knuckles that tend to leak gear oil from leaking too much but lets better cold temp lube happen than with grease.

The only way I know of the really clean it out is to open it up...that said, if one got the steering knuckle good and warm on a warm summer day from a nice drive...or maybe like a magnet mount block heater?...then open the drain plug and let it flow.

As far as the steering, I could just get the top hex filler port open with a crescent wrench from the front...tight spot...as far as emptying it, I think one would have to take it off and turn it over or somehow suck the stuff out...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Wow, now I'm totally confused Jon. I fully understand what you said, but here's my questions. First, where is the drain plug/hole? Second, would you just pump grease through the filler hole until 1/2 full, (to filler plug hole)? Finally, being my truck is never driven off road, and not driven many miles, is it safe to go with 90 weight gear lube?
    Their is a steel plate, held on by 4 bolts on the bottom of the housing. I hate to fool with it, as it has never leaked a drop. Maybe the housing is filled with grease, thus less chance of a leak?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I think the drain hole for the knuckle is to remove one of the four bolts at the bottom.

MrNeutron, that may be a very good observation you came up with. Guess I wouldn't be compromising any sealing of the plate gasket, by removing one of the bolts. I will give that a try and see what happens. Very interesting concept if it works.
    Just wondering if it may be the same type of situation with the draining of the steering box?

How about this idea, the thinking of many is to stuff the Braden LU-4 winch with John Deere Special-Purpose Corn Head Gun Grease instead of GO-90. It is green stuff and they use it in farm implements from what I read (I am not a farmer). That is what I will use in my winch. Face it, how much will I REALLY use my winch?

What is the thinking on that?

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-D...-AN102562.html

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    How about this idea, the thinking of many is to stuff the Braden LU-4 winch with John Deere Special-Purpose Corn Head Gun Grease instead of GO-90. It is green stuff and they use it in farm implements from what I read (I am not a farmer). That is what I will use in my winch. Face it, how much will I REALLY use my winch?

What is the thinking on that?

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-D...-AN102562.html
    Exactly what I used. Someone here recommended that way back when I was restoring.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Exactly what I used. Someone here recommended that way back when I was restoring.
    Thanks Ron for that experience. It further confirms the way to go for me.

Ok, so I took out the fill plugs and found grease on the inside of the plugs. No need to try and drain the knuckle housing, cause grease sure won't flow out. I took Jon's advice and left what grease was there, and added 90w gear lube. I think he called it "Knuckle pudding". Kind of a pain to fill though. Fill plugs point down slightly. I used a rubber tube attached to the top of the quart squeeze bottle, put the tube in the hole and squeezed the bottle until it ran out the fill hole.
    How are these housings filled with grease? Unless you have a neumatic grease gun, I would imagine you just use a hand held pump style and pump grease in until you can see it at the fill plug hole.
    In the manual it says that the housing takes 1 pint, which kinda led me to believe they were talking about fluid, rather than grease.

Forgot to add that I also pulled off my PVC valve today. Amazingly it still rattled. I could blow through it, And do I dare say, that when I sucked in, the valve closed tightly.
    Oil and filter changed, all fittings greased. As far as lubrication goes, I think I'm set.