Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Cool, thank you. I plan on LED tail lights and OEM front turn signals with 12 volt bulbs. Maybe they will cause enough draw for the signal unit. But I will be prepared for the resistor. Steering shaft is all done. I need to do one or two more things to the column. Time for a major shop clean. And another top project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    Cool, thank you. I plan on LED tail lights and OEM front turn signals with 12 volt bulbs. Maybe they will cause enough draw for the signal unit. But I will be prepared for the resistor. Steering shaft is all done. I need to do one or two more things to the column. Time for a major shop clean. And another top project.
    Top !! Yes!!!

It was one year ago I returned home towing my M truck back from the Seattle area. Thanks Fisherman for helping me find it. I guess I have gotten a few things done. I will post up some pictures of the dual fuel tanks I am putting in. One from an El Camino and one from a 41-48 chevy. I will have a 38 gallon capacity. Thanks to Glenn for the good fender, hood and second fuel filler. Again hours saved banging and cutting metal. I am sewing up a chopped bow soft top for eightyduece right now. I hope to be done in a couple days and I can get back to M truck fab madness. Scassidy's truck has really given me an inspiration to get it done. Back to poking holes in fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    Top !! Yes!!!
    I will send you a PM in a couple days. I have not forgotten.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    I will send you a PM in a couple days. I have not forgotten.
    No problem. Assembly isn't done until the end of this month. Then it will spend the whole month of April in the paint shop.

Well that is cool as heck. I wish it were warm enough here for that. Still have about a foot of crusty ice snow. But it is melting fast. I hope you are taking lots of pictures. And post them in a format that we can see.

Major internet malfunction. Almost lost the post. Deleted the content of a duplicate. Nothing to see here. Move on...
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; March 14th, 2021 at 03:07 AM.

38 gallons of fuel capacity. I took out the monster tank the truck came with since my driveline or even the diff yoke had the ability to change my day. I bought an 18 gallon tank made by Tanks INC. Outstanding quality. They are powder coated and treated metal. For a 41-48 chevy. This one was extra capacity. I put it up in place where the stock tank goes and was disappointed at all the unused area under there. I was going to return it but I scratched it. I pulled it back out. Then discovered the factory tank was 28 gallons. I need a bigger tank for the thirsty Buick 350 I am running. Losing 10 gallons was not a good thing. I found it fit perfectly where the spare tire goes. A previous owner put in a 2 inch receiver tow hitch. With welds I could spend 6 weeks trying to cut loose, I found the tank literally fit like it was made to go there. The filler dodged the bed mount and pointed right to the same spot as the front gas filler on the other side of the fender. And thanks to Glenn I now have a second metal fill spout. The tow hitch will make a perfect skid plate mount. So will the round frame cross member above the axle. Well that went well.
    So still looking for a main tank. I looked at dozens of tanks. Almost went poly but those options are limited. I found the M715 frame is 40 inches wide under there. Well what do you know, a 71-72 El Camino 20 gallon tanks is 39 1/4 long and 24 1/2 wide which avoids the spinning pinion. 7 1/4 deep which is way clear of the driveline. The filler neck just about points right at the OEM gas fill hole. Well ok then.. I have two tanks with 38 gallon capacity now. That is ten over stock. This one is also from Tanks Inc.

This version has a separate fill neck connected with a rubber coupler. Some are all metal one piece. Don't get that one.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd384.htm

The 18 gallon 41-48 chevy tank. This one has a 3/8 NPT fuel pick up. The El Camino tank does not have a fuel pick up. I will make one for one of the top ports. Easy stuff..

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd123.htm

Google the part numbers and get them way cheaper than from Tanks Inc.

Use a ball socket header tube connector to make a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer from metal. Cut and weld and you are done. Join it with the rubber coupler and off you go.

They look like this.

They both fit pretty darn well. The El Camino tank needs the small exhaust hanger bracket removed from the passenger side bed mount. Then it fits amazingly well.

Using the full width of the frame. New mounts will get welded to the bed. You have to keep the tank down some for the fuel filler to be even with the OEM hose. No worries as the bottom of the tank is still way above the driveline from the NP205.

Plenty of room.

The tank will probably go forward 2-3 inches still. Aligning the fillers near perfect. I need to remove the OEM mounting flags to do so.

Now plenty of room for my mufflers underneath. A good find here.

The rear 18 gallon. It rests against the spare tire stand off's and it is just even with the tow bar for a easy skid plate. Both tanks have room to probably change a fuel line without dropping the tanks. The filler also avoids the bed mount.

From under.

I need to finish all this tank install before I can finish the exhaust system. I need to also weld on the front spring hangers all the way before I can lift it so I don't tear them off. They are just tacked on.
    I have at least a week of making at least one more soft top. Then possibly another top and some truck time. Painting weather is coming.
    I am considering a medium silver flat metallic with black. Or the Buckskin tan as originally planned. I have some time to nail that to something. Yellow is definitely out.

Al it was good to hear from you today. I like the new project. It makes me miss mine.

It is never to late to get another one. You have enough engines and transmissions to make something really cool. Yes it was great to catch up. The call was way overdue. Come up and visit. We will wheel to the fire look outs. Run from bears etc..