Thread: Anyone made a full soft top?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone made a full soft top?

A fill length soft top would be nice. Has anyone made one or could it be done? Not a cargo cover but something with windows.

Huh. That might be cool. I had a soft top on a 72 GMC Jimmy, roll up the sides in summer time like I was going on safari.

That'd be custom all the way. You know how to sew? Probably cost a fortune to have it made.

Haven't seen one before though I think it's a nice idea.

Talk to someone at a boat shop? Should be fairly simple, just need to find someone who works cheap...
    Is that real money?

I run a CJ-5 bikini top on my M715. It is great up until around 50 mph. Then it wants to poof up and fly. If I am driving into a strong head wind. I normally just remove it. The thing will form an airfoil shape, then slam down on my head, repeat.

Sermis and I have both run our M35 trucks with the cargo cover sides rolled up. That wants to start flying around 30 mph. If you keep going faster, it will pull the uprights the top is tied to out of the troop seats.

I can only imagine a full length windshield to tail gate top would be a heavy, flapping pain at any speed over around 25.

Having written all of that. If a frame was made like the old full convertible K5 trucks. If the top had sleeves or velcro loops to go around and fasten it to the cross bars. If the cross bars were well secured in all directions. Then, it might be something that could be used besides in parades only.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw