Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12216 Coming Back To Life

Default 12216 Coming Back To Life

Hello all,

I started a thread on another forum but since this seems more specific and active to M715s, I'm moving over here.

I'm new to the forum and new to M715s. On Christmas day I acquired a M715 from my father-in-law and his neighbor. This truck was parked under an old chicken barn probably around 30 years ago and has sat ever since. I first caught a glimpse of the truck 3-4 years ago and from that point was envious of it.

We drug the truck out of the barn a couple weeks ago, and over to my father-in-laws house. On the way over, we put the truck in gear while towing it and noticed the engine spun pretty easily, I even smelled fuel pumping out on the way. The truck steered well but as would be expected, there were no brakes.

We disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pump, cleaned the points, and dumped some fuel in the carb. After a few cranks, the truck turned over. It didn't take long and we had the truck running as long as we continually dumped fuel in the carb. After sitting for nearly 30 years, its amazing it ran with only a few minutes of tinkering.

At this point, we pulled the carb because it needs to be replaced. The brakes were removed and wheel cylinders replaced. I ordered a new Master Cylinder but haven't installed it yet. I'll be removing the bed soon (its a dump bed) and sand blasting the back half of the truck and applying POR15 to the frame. After that, the plan is to redo the fuel and brake lines and see where we go from there.

Here are some pictures of the truck in storage and now in its current state.

Last edited by GIJoe911; January 9th, 2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: fixing photos

Welcome! I think that you have identified those items which will be your challenge. Brakes are always in need of repair. Hopefully the shoes that you have are good. As for the carburetor, I would try to rebuild it if at all possible. New ones, if they even exist are expensive and the rebuild kits are not all that expensive.

Another challenge will be the fuel tank. They are usually very rusty and boiling, coating usually is temporary. But others will have more information for you.

I am in the "Stock" family, wanting my truck to run on 24 Volts and essentially the way that it left the Kaiser Jeep factory.

Ask questions!

Thanks, Don!

I believe the drums and shoes are in great shape. The truck shows 8000 miles on it and by the condition of the pedals, brakes and tires, it looks accurate.

I think I'll take your advice and soak the carb in carb cleaner tonight, to see what I end up with. I'll also post on this forum to see if someone is parting with one.

I can tell the outside of my fuel tank doesnt look good. I'll wait to remove the bed to really assess the tank.

I'd like to keep my truck close to original too, but I'll part from that where I need to, especially since someone already made it into a dump truck.

Thanks!

Get under the bed and spray the bolts holding the fuel tank straps on with some penetrating oil. Repeat for a few days and then talk real nice to them before you try taking them out.

Out of 5 M715 beds I have had to work with. 4 had those bolts broken off. I just drilled the broken bolt out along with the welded nut. Then just used a longer bolt with a nut I had to hold to put the straps back on again. Not bad, but I don't enjoy drilling vertically above my head all that much.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks, Barrman. I'll have to show a picture of my gas tank situation later, but my gas tank was moved from the middle of the truck to the rear in order to accommodate the dump bed.

I’m interested in how the dump bed was set up. I remember years ago (like 1st and 2nd board old) it was a pretty discussed topic. Great looking truck!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

gonz, I'll try and get some pictures this weekend. My goal is to have the bed off and working on the frame in the next few days.

Can someone help me with the orientation of these brake wedges (I'm guessing on the name)? When I took them apart, I didn't take good enough pictures. I think the arrow points to the front of the truck, but in some of my disassembly photos, they seem to be oriented the opposite way.

Last edited by GIJoe911; January 13th, 2018 at 10:30 AM.

go to figure 16- 12 in the maintenance manual it shows a parts break down.
    I believe you`re talking about the anchor block washer and anchor block.

90% sure the arrow points forward.....
    Is that real money?