Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

No skipping.

Just seeing when you are going to test fire one of the engines. It's only been a year. What's the holdup?
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Any updates since the kids have been out of class?
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

No, just a sad feeling everytime I look across the class at my dead big block. I really liked that engine. We got the radiator out and all the belted accessories off before school shut down. Seing those big fat valve covers, aluminum intake, water pump and huge exhaust runners just makes me think power, torque and roaring exhaust. Then I get sad again. Jennifer has started saying "oh, there's your poor broken truck" everytime she comes in my class. It doesn't help.

However, as you know the 6.2 powered blue bomber made a great 700 some odd miles of driving last week with lots of power and great economy. I just have trouble going from vroom, vroom to chug chug mentally still.

I was going to bring the bomber in today so the body shop teacher could help me swap out the tinted glass since he has all the plastic tools. I got a call Tuesday evening from a guy wanting to know if I wanted "50-100" gallons of free diesel. I of course said yes and used the bomber to haul a trailer over there after work yesterday. Turns out the oil field supply place he works at has several generators and they have to put new fuel in them every few years. They can't dump the old fuel and gave it to me. It was actually 35 gallons of ag diesel, but I picked it up last night and am taking the now empty generator fuel tanks back to him this afternoon. That will free the bomber up to get "tinted" tomorrow.

I won't risk running red fuel on the road, so the tractor will have fuel for the next year or so.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I've grown fond of clack clack clack instead of varoom vraoom. You'll come to love it too...
    Zone holster maker

I don't really hear the clack, clack in the bomber because it is insulated all over. I jumped in the non insulated tin can M1009 last night to turn it around and provide slaved 24 volts to my fuel transfer pump. I do like the clack, clack. I smiled when it fired up.

What I think I am going to miss the most is the side exhaust and getting pushed back in my seat further and further as the tach goes from 2500-5500 as fast as I dare to hang on. I will run the 6.2 with a self imposed red line of 2500 so. I guess I will have to get back on the 283 powered MGA project. That thing should be able to hit 7-8K on every shift. With the 4:30 axle under it, that will have to be my go fast and feel good about burning too much gasoline vehicle.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Weren't you building a M715 with a Cummins? Mine is probably not as fast as yours was with the 396, but I can break the tires loose in the first three gears and get mileage in the mid teens. Which is not bad for something of the aerodynamics and rolling resistance of the Titanic.

The 6BT is in a truck I am building in my class for Sermis. The 6.2 is going in my truck to replace the 396 gasser that suffered a thrown rod. Water got inside the engine from I think a bad head gasket or more likely, a bad intake gasket and a nice window on the side of the pan is what happened when I tried to start it.

I spun the tires (actually, I think just a tire) on the 3.42 geared bomber today. I was trying to back up hill with my trailer attached. I heard rubber squeal. Plenty of power in the old 6.2.

We pulled the 396 out of the M715 yesteday and started the autopsy today. Very sad.

The first thing we learned was that there is a hole on both sides of the pan:

I was of course walking my students through how to remove parts, what they did and such. We pulled the distributor cap and found the rotor metal all mangled off to one side and just barely touching the contact from the cap. That might explain my lack of power the last few months.

I pulled the rotor and was going to show them how the mechanical advance worked. The only problem is the shaft turned waaaayyyy too far each direction. It got me thinking the cam was snapped in two.

Then we pulled the valve covers and found the #8 and #7 rockers off their push rods. The #8 intake push rod was and still is jambed up in the guide plate:

Curiouser and curoiser. We got the pan off before the day ended. #8 rod snapped in half for sure. It spins real nice on the crank though so that part is probably still good.

We will do the intake and heads Monday if all goes right.

So you snapped the rod but the crank is fine?
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

That is how it looks Ronner. I just reached down and gave the end still on the crank a spin. It felt real smooth. I didn't really get a look at it though. More to follow as I find it out.