Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on my powertrain conversion ideas

Thanks for the info guys!

The more research i do i am realizing that it may not be ideal for me to do a 1 donor vehicle conversion. I think i am sold on the Ford Front end and 14 bolt van rear end axle conversion. Now i just need to decide on engine/transmission/transfer case. I think 4l80e or 4l60e with whatever engine/transfer case accompanies it.

Another option is available

You could swap your old sheetmetal over to a newer frame ...

You'd get a better frame, more modern suspension and the drivetrain already done

I did a fairly substantial drivetrain swap with mine and in hindsight think I should have gone this route

Spent a bit of time looking at frames at yards and doing measurements

Actually the only real hangup with it is the stupid little cargo box on the front of the bed

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

Quote Originally Posted by 12998 View Post
    I agree with the ease of the LS swap.
    A 5.3 4l60 combo is a great candidate for a repower.
    The tcase for this has a drivers drop.
    So ...
    Get a set of solid axles from a f350 between 85 and 97.
    Front high pinion d60 drops in like it was made for the 715.
    Sterling is tight, brake backing plate is a pain, suggest discs.
    Done.
    It seems like even with the 14 bolt that a lot of people use they have to swap to disc brakes anyway. Any advantage to using the 14 bolt over the Sterling?

I have a sterling 10.25 under mine.... the disc brake conversion is the same price 14b to 10.25 ford...

If you want big tires... you'll have to offset the rims anyways due to the front hitting the leaf springs also.

I have mine staying spring under and are running 285/75R16 Load E BFG KO's. (Spring Over wasnt an option for me as mine will be a tow pig and higher Center of Gravity is NOT what I wanted)

I have no issues front or rear running the ford steel wheels....
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Pretty similar
    Sterling does not have the aftermarket support the 14b does
    Both are super cheap and available everywhere
    Sterling has the benefit of being on the same truck that you want for the front axle
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

Quote Originally Posted by 12998 View Post
    Pretty similar
    Sterling does not have the aftermarket support the 14b does
    Both are super cheap and available everywhere
    Sterling has the benefit of being on the same truck that you want for the front axle
    Eventually I'll go junkyard and get an OEM Ford 10.50 E-locker and put it in my older 10.25...

Beyond that... a cheaper than ARB locker... and disc brakes... not sure what aftermarket you need for a 14b?

Sterling 10.25... Ford E-locker cheap, disc brakes.

Almost seems the sterling is the way to go

I don't think there is a lot of gear choice on Sterling, 410 might be OK for diesel w/ big tires, but you might not want that for gas....Not sure what their taller gears are, I know you can get 456 for the 14bolt
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by ray steadward View Post
    I don't think there is a lot of gear choice on Sterling, 410 might be OK for diesel w/ big tires, but you might not want that for gas....Not sure what their taller gears are, I know you can get 456 for the 14bolt
    3.73, 4.10 are the two common F350 setups

4.88, 5.13, 5.29 are also available

Don't know if you would want any taller gears than 3.73 in this heavy of a truck.

In my truck.. I have 4.10 gears and are perfect for my small 33" tires, a diesel at 1800 RPM, with an OD trans at 65 mph....

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    3.73, 4.10 are the two common F350 setups

4.88, 5.13, 5.29 are also available

Don't know if you would want any taller gears than 3.73 in this heavy of a truck.

In my truck.. I have 4.10 gears and are perfect for my small 33" tires, a diesel at 1800 RPM, with an OD trans at 65 mph....
    Venom, are running a spring over? how do the 33's fill out the fender wells? does it look odd?

My last conversion i had 37 humvee tires with a spring over and it filled out pretty nice, but i don't think i want to do 37s this time as they sucked up a LOT of power with the 4.10 gearing i had. (Although a 1990 5.9 TBI engine probably didn't have much power to spare anyway) I may also consider leaving it as a spring under setup, and run 33 or 35 inch tires... they might play nicer with 4.10 gearing, and make all the steering and driveshaft geometry work better.

I am leaning towards a 6.0/4L80E and whatever t-case comes with it- still need to research that a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by the1968jeepthing View Post
    Venom, are running a spring over? how do the 33's fill out the fender wells? does it look odd?

My last conversion i had 37 humvee tires with a spring over and it filled out pretty nice, but i don't think i want to do 37s this time as they sucked up a LOT of power with the 4.10 gearing i had. (Although a 1990 5.9 TBI engine probably didn't have much power to spare anyway) I may also consider leaving it as a spring under setup, and run 33 or 35 inch tires... they might play nicer with 4.10 gearing, and make all the steering and driveshaft geometry work better.

I am leaning towards a 6.0/4L80E and whatever t-case comes with it- still need to research that a bit more.

I'm remaining spring under on purpose due to towing and want to stay lower so I cant comment on tire fill. I've seen a few guys with Spring-Over who didn't have their new tires on and it looked.... out of place. I also wanted to purposely do all of this resto-modding... while being able to stop back 10 feet away and NOT know I did anything to the truck.

Short of counting the lugnuts (8 now vs. OEM 6)... you won't know the truck is diesel, OD 5 speed, axle swapped, power steering, hydrboosted power 4wheel disc brakes

... it will look original. (until I start it up )

Staying spring-under and doing a Ford modern axle swap is not for beginner fabricators.