Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Pickup Tube removal

Default Fuel Tank Pickup Tube removal

I'm having what appears to be a fuel flow issue, the lines are all new and the tank is very clean but I am having a fuel no fuel situation like something is clogging / restricting flow but not all the time. I've tried 3 pumps, 2 rebuilt and one new with the same results. I'm wondering if the in tank sock may be collapsing or some issue with the pickup tube. The tube looks to be soldered in the top of the tank, not sure how they got the sock on unless they did it before the tank was finish welded. Would like to hear from anyone who may have replaced or removed the pickup tube. I have a clear filter at the carb, clean as a whistle.

Thanks

I cut the protruding section of the tube off, then filed it flat and drilled out just big enough to free the tube, the tube then fell in the tank, fished it out the sending unit hole. You can see how the sock is constructed, can't say for sure it was the culprit but I will eliminate it. More to follow on a new serviceable pickup tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know a lot of people have had issues with the internal fuel sock. With in-line filters, I don't think you'll miss having it in the tank.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I had the exact same problem. I was able get off in pieces without removing the tube, I had also charred the sock when I did my welding repairs on the tank. I did fish out all the fragments of the sock, cleaned the tank the best I could and put 2 inline filters in. One under the bed and then a second one at the carb. Unfortunately now the tube does not reach the bottom of the tank. But to answer your post, it made a huge difference for me removing that thing.

Thank you for the replies, I will be threading the top of the tank for 1/4 pipe, am going to silver solder a 5/16 copper-nickel tube in the bottom of a 1/4 90 deg fitting with a 5/16 hose barb on top, this will replicate the original in function and allow it to be removed if necessary. The original tube was spotless but that sock filter looked suspicious for sure.

Some more progress today drilled/tapped for 1/4 pipe and test fitted, looks great. Waiting for soldering supplies to finish.

Wish I would have caught this earlier...yep...many have had problems with new gas melting or otherwise compromising the sock...

Remove and use a filter near the tank and one between pump and carb and you'll be golden...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks, pulled out several pieces of lead solder probably left over from tank construction. I think it's finally cleaned out of debris.

Nice quarter!

I remember cleaning those extraneous chunks out of mine including the slug they cut out to make the hole...it was still in the bottom of the tank 4 decades later...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The quarter was just for a size scale, would have been cool to find it in the tank.