Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M715 Texas Build

Default Icepocalypse!

Well, I felt like I should post some updates since it has been a while.

I've actually been able to get some work done on her at night but things have been so busy in the home-building world in Austin between all the Californians moving here and the repairs from Icepocalypse that I haven't just haven't wanted to spend the few free moments I have in front of a computer.

To start with, I'm tall and didn't like how short the side windows are so I extended them all by 3.625 inches. That brings them in line with the top of the windshield and still allows the operable ones to fully retract into the door if you remove the angle stop. I diligently documented the fabrication of the taller windows so I could add it to the forum and then I forgot to take a picture of them completed and installed before I pulled the doors off. SMH Once I'm putting the new rocker panels on and test fitting the doors I'll snap some pics and then post the whole process.

For now, I've put a lot of hammer and dolly time into straightening out the fenders and bed dings. That bed is stout!

I bought a running LQ4 with 4l80. 150k miles. I debated whether to go ahead and rebuild it but decided I'm too eager to drive this thing so I'm going to run it as is for a while.

Ordered motor mounts from BJ's, I have a new driver side rocker showing up, passenger side was in mint condition. Once I get the rocker replaced and my roll bar plates fabricated I'll pull the cab and bed and get going on my frame mods.

My next big acquisition push is to try to find an NP205. Would love to find a divorced one with passenger side drop but so far that has proven elusive!

I'm testing out Master Series metal prep on the frame rail and if I like it, I'm going to go with their silver primer on the chassis.

I'll make sure I'm picture heavy next time but most of my work to date has been demo so the good stuff is just starting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got my Dodge divorced NP205 (passenger drop) from a guy on Ebay. Fully rebuilt, painted, and ready to go in. I have info if you'd like. He doesn't give them away, but the cost and aggravation of finding an old take-out it was worth it. That being said, the stock NP200 served me well with no real issues even with many miles at 65mph. The 205 is much much quieter though...I have a very pretty NP200 that I'd sell for a song

Eighty I would love the ebay contact. That would save me a lot of time hunting. My NP200 is in great shape but I do want the benefits of the quieter 205.

PM sent, but keep getting error. Let me know if you get the info.

What rockers are you using? I know there are plenty choices for rockers that just don't fit. Some have complete profile changes that are not even close to the OEM shape. I used Melnicks rockers. The fit and finish was amazing for an aftermarket panel. I spent maybe 30 minutes making some adjustments to edges and corners to match exactly. Some panels I have used required days of fitting. The Melnicks ones were pretty nice. Just curious if you know who made them.

Unfortunately I am not able to see the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    PM sent, but keep getting error. Let me know if you get the info.

Hi Eighty, got it, thank you! I got an error message when I replied as well so seems like a forum issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    What rockers are you using? I know there are plenty choices for rockers that just don't fit. Some have complete profile changes that are not even close to the OEM shape. I used Melnicks rockers. The fit and finish was amazing for an aftermarket panel. I spent maybe 30 minutes making some adjustments to edges and corners to match exactly. Some panels I have used required days of fitting. The Melnicks ones were pretty nice. Just curious if you know who made them.

Unfortunately I am not able to see the pictures.

Kaiser, I read your thread on rocker panels which is incredible, thank you for all of that great info!

I have two different rockers showing up. I ordered the ones from BJ’s because I read somewhere that they had corrected fit issues and I wanted to see if that is correct. I’ll let you know what I find. I also took a section to a metal fab shop that I have a stake in and have asked them to make me one. I want to see how hard it is for them to nail it just as an experiment. The profile didn’t seem that complex so I was surprised at how bad some of the aftermarket fits are and wanted to find out if there is more to it than it seems. Also a good way to test the skill of my guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would also like the np205 contact...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benjamintx@gmail.com View Post

My other question is, if all else fails on sourcing axles and I have to go to last resort, I found this guy:

https://www.hillbillywizard.com/comp...t-refurbished/

Anyone have thoughts on this? I expect it will be pricey but scarcity drives prices! If you are more comfortable sharing your thoughts on this in a pm please message me.

Thanks!
    As to Hillbilly wizard ... I just put those you point out under my truck with HMWVV wheels. 4wheel disk and 4.56 gears. See my latest post on my build thread... TEKING

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by teking; May 10th, 2021 at 07:29 AM.