Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: rockwell axles

Flipping the hubs isn't really much of a modification. You just take the hub off as if you were going to change wheel bearings and such, but turn it 180* and put it back on backwards. You also have to pull the wheel studs and put them in backwards.

New wheel studs and bearings at that time would make a lot of sense.

You are talking about M35s? Right? There are other 2.5 tons out there is why I ask.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Flipping the hubs isn't really much of a modification. You just take the hub off as if you were going to change wheel bearings and such, but turn it 180* and put it back on backwards. You also have to pull the wheel studs and put them in backwards.

New wheel studs and bearings at that time would make a lot of sense.

You are talking about M35s? Right? There are other 2.5 tons out there is why I ask.
    Yes M35 ..... i think they called them M135 here .....
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Here, the M135 is a whole different animal, axles are completely different, face load instead of top load, front and rear use forward cut gears as the t-case outputs turn in opposite directions. Can be made to work...but not what you're looking for.

Make certain that is not what you're getting. Less desirable to say the least.

Not what you want-

GMC M135 CDN
    http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/im...f-51a8f6afec5b

IIRC, they use Timken Banjo type axles.

i'm not sur of the model but they are the u joints type rockwells for sure ... because the guy already bought 3 trucks and they were having those good model rocwells top loaders ... the three other are the same from the same place .... he said that they were having a lot to sell .... 3 to 4 at a time !!!
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Good, sounds like you're in good shape. Almost 100% certain you just have a Canadien M35 which in terms of axles, should be consistant with all the info previously mentioned in this thread.

now i just have to wait for the auction .... closing tomorrow !! Can't wait to have the answer !!

It sound a good swap instead of my 1 ton setup just because i don't need special customs wheels .

Also i was having problem fixing the draglink .... i have crane highsteer but they are not taller enough .... so i may have to fabricated at least a 2" spacer between the d60 and the arm ... with the rockwell it's seems to be easier doing the good geometry on the steering !!
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

The Canadian M35 is the same basic truck as the US M35. The EPA made the US stop purchasing the M35 in 1986 because of pollution concerns. The Canadian government had no such problems. So, they got to improve the trucks for another 20 years. The beadlock wheels is just one of those improvements.

The M35 was actaully a follow on truck to the M34. The 1949 contract G742 ordering M34 trucks called for trucks with single 11.00-20 tires on them. All of those trucks had the hubs "flipped" so the track was the same front and rear. The US learned in WWII that one big tire at low pressure does a lot better in sand, dirt, gravel, mud, etc... than dual tires. However, over the road problems and the mental image that two are better than one caused the M35 dual tire model to be introduced and used.

The current M35A3 and whatever model the Canadians use now, are just improved M34's with bigger tires, better rims and diesel engines. The axles are the same on the outside however as the 1949 models.

The Timken company developed the axles but sold the axle division to George Rockwell in 1953 or 1954. (My 1952 M35 Gasser has "Timken" axles under it.) The early ones have cv joint type joints in the front compared to the later model u-joints. Other than that, they are pretty much the same.

Replace the front knuckle boots with solid one piece boots. They run about $25 each and places like OD Iron have brand new non NOS ones that are great. The zipper versions are hard to seal and prone to leaking.

As Doug wrote, flipping the hubs is easy. So is removing all the drum brake stuff from the front. The rears will require you to grind off 12 or so AN rivets to get the backing plates off.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I remember Spicer saying the brakes were 185 pounds lighter with the swap per axle...

Here is a picture with stock split rims and 12.00x20 xml's and rear hubs out.
    I think if you get axles out of a truck with beadlocks, the rear axle will already have the hubs flipped out. Possibly central tire inflation as well. Might be kind of handy.
    I am using pinion brakes for now. I did not plan on driving on the street with it.