Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this leak?

Default What is this leak?

I went out to the truck today to see about spending an hour of TLC, and I found this pooling in the cab:

I am guessing it is coolant? Is that how the heater works? Circulating hot coolant over heat exchangers?

Anyway, at least I feel better about the heater. I had thought it was a 40 year old gas heater and that I was going to blow up my truck when I tried to use it.

Let me know if there is a likely culpret aside from just leaky hose.
    Zach

Hose, loose hose clamp or heater core.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

There should be two hoses that connect to your heater core that should be in that box that the coolent is coming from. Thats the easy fix if it is one of the hoses. Be prepared for the heater core itself to be leaking. Most radiator shops should be able to fix it or if you can find a new replacement core that would be best.
    Kevin

Non stock heater, personally, no idea where its from...

Yes, the hot coolant from the motor runs through a little radiator called a heater core and a fan blowing over that heater core pushes the heat into the cab.

Like Barrman said, hose, clamp or heater core...if the core is leaking, you can try to find a new one or tke what you have to a radiator shop and see if they can rebuild it.

You can also fit in a Full Size Jeep civilian heater...it bolts in to a stock truck...though I dont know what mods might have been made to put that one in so you might have a little more work to do.

I can't run a stock heater in mine because my battery tray is in the way (on the engine side of the firewall right where the heater would go).

Looks like you're going to get to know your heater pretty well by the time this is finished, Zach! Hopefully it's just a loose hose clamp.

Worst-case scenario, you could disconnect (or even cut) your two hoses going through the firewall and join them together to bypass the heater until you can work on it. Doesn't sound like you need to drive this truck much though.

Hey, we woulnd't mind a few more pictures of your heater! It's a non-standard thing and we all like to learn about those!
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Worst-case scenario, you could disconnect (or even cut) your two hoses going through the firewall and join them together to bypass the heater until you can work on it. Doesn't sound like you need to drive this truck much though.
    This was my original thought. Its on jackstands right now, and I have promised myself that I will get the 914 on the road before I invest a lot of time in the truck. If a leaky heater is all that is keeping the truck parked come spring, I'll just bypass it. I can't see the truck getting a lot of use in the winter unless I put a plow on it. Salted roads and old iron don't mix!

I'll take more pics over the weekend. Tomorrow I have to go back to work.
    Zach

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    From this picture, it looks like a little elf has been drinking gatoraid in your truck and spilled some. Look for little wet footprints leading away from the truck.

I'm just glad its not an old gas heater.

I don't care how safe people say those things are, they frighten me.

Zach

Edit: oh, hey. I'm a PFC now. When did that happen?

Binford,

I looked at the heater a little more closely. It is rusty and lots of paint overspray (over the rust) but it is clearly stamped MOPAR.

Well, I guess it fits. My truck DOES have a Hemi, after all.

Zach

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Zach, that is probably an old truck heater from an early Dodge. Back in the 50's and 60's and even into the 70's a bit, it was generally an option to have a heater in a pickup or larger truck. Most were add-ons that bolted in like yours and had a manual door to allow heat to the floor. Some also had defrosters as well ducted from the top to the windshield. They were essentially just a heater core in a metal box with a fan on the back. Nothing fancy.

NAPA and JC Whitney and others also sold add-on heaters very similar. I've seen Modine and FoMoCo ones as well.

That's a pretty neat old piece and most likely just needs a heater core.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™