Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels won't turn

Default Wheels won't turn

So I recently picked up a stock (Other than the 350 conversion) and when I went to load her on the trailer, the passenger rear and drivers front wheels are locked up. So I figured I would ask the experts for advise before I tear up.

Sounds like the brakes may be locked up. You really won't know untill you tear into it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
    Sounds like the brakes may be locked up. You really won't know untill you tear into it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Probably true. Sitting outside, lots of corrosion and rust.

Brakes more than likely.

One time, I was dragging a 57 willys pickup by a chain with two locked up wheels, down my driveway (long, fairly steep incline) with my Grand Cherokee.
    When all of a sudden the brakes unstuck their selves. The outcome wasn't very pretty

Wasn't one of my brightest ideas

I'm going to go obvious here..... parking brake?

I'm thinking it isn't brakes as the open diffs allow one wheel each axle to spin. Jack up the jeep... can you spin one wheel each at a time?
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Thanks for the feedback fellas... I haven't had time to take a wheel off just yet, but I will soon. The parking brake feels "loose" as in it doesn't feel like moving it changes anything. So it may be possible it's the lever and cable are not connected? When we pulled her from her spot of 2 years, the pass rear wheel broke free then locked back up. Same for the drivers front!

So I need to get her in the air and see what's up. Thanks for all the info.

"Parking Brakes" almost never work unless you pay attention to them. My money is on the drums and shoes being all corroded up after sitting so long.

After doing some research, I agree Don.

3 of mine were frozen when I went to pick it up back in 2001. When the trailer winch started to pull my truck and trailer back to the sitting in neutral M715. I knew I had a problem.

Brakes.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Solidly-rusted up brakes are something I've pretty much come to accept from lawn/meadow ornament vehicles, although climate has a lot of influence on this: when we moved two 7107's, two M37's, two 715's, and a Travelall out of a meadow in SE WY, not one was frozen up. All but the IH had been moved within the previous 10 years. That was exceptional in my experience, but Wyoming has almost no humidity.