Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: M715 Hauler / Crawler Build

Stock pullouts for sale in the classifieds... Tornado, T-98, NP200, steering gear & pitman arm, carb, vacuum booster and shock mounts.

Nice progress! Moving it to the passenger side may also help avoid any fuel tank / driveshaft clearance issues. Not sure of how your final placement laid out, but would it be possible to simply bend the shift lever a bit rather than trimming the dash? I had to do that when jamming that trans in a CJ2A...

I finalized the placement of the engine/trans/transfercase. I built the motor mounts and the trans/transfercase crossmember and mounts.

Picked up a remanufactured J20 power steering box (Autozone) and a zero drop pitman arm from WFO. The mount is 1/4 plate on both sides of the frame with Ø.75x.125 wall DOM sleeves.

Welded up the tie rod and drag link (Ø1.5 x .219 wall DOM for both). Tube adapters from WFO, GM tie rods ends and GM drag link ends.

I bought a CUCV 14 bolt (4.56 gears and Detroit locker) off craigslist. Has a disc brake conversion with Cadillac calipers (lever pull type parking brakes), a 3/8” thick diff cover and pinion guard. So I took some measurements and then pulled the bed off.

Looks nice.

Those mounts look very stout. Nice work on the welds and fabrication.

Are you going to do a shackle flip on the rear or does it sit pretty level with your new front spring mounts?

Thanks guys.

I picked and pulled some 56" Chevy leaf springs from a C20. They're seven leaves and two overloads. I'm planning to pull both overloads and probably one other leaf. The calipers clocked as shown above don't give enough room to run the leaves outboard of the frame. I thought about clocking them like yours (Troop) but they seem like the rocks may be a little too attracted to them. I don’t think I can run them directly under the frame and keep the lower ride height I need to match the front (approx. 3" over stock). If I go inboard, things tend to get a little less stable and will have clearance problems with the fuel tank.

So I see a few options:
    Clock the calipers and run outboard
    French the spring hangers into the frame rails
    Run inboard the frame rails and deal with it

To keep with the hauler/crawler theme, the 56" chevy springs with the overloads removed will be aided by some kind of an airbag setup (shackle mounted, quick release pin or maybe cantilevered).

The CAD model is coming along. The frame geometry is just about as far as I plan on taking it. It will soon be ready for public consumption.

wow... nice build. Looks great. I too use solid works.
    Would it be possible to share files on the frame and rolling chassis. I know much time was put into that.
    Also i see the stock engine sitting around. any plans for that?

I've got no problems sharing any of the Solidworks files I've created. I have a few more details to work out on the frame before its worth sharing. I sold the stock engine and trans to a member on this site.

On to the updates...

Finally finished the rear suspension, the forward spring hangers are WFO universal spring hangers welded to .250” plate. The rear shackle hanger is 2”x 3”x .180” wall tube with WFO universal shackle hangers welded on. I had to notch the bottom leg of the frame rail C-channel to clear the shackle as it travels. Other than that everything went as planned. I flexed it out to check for any interference between the shackle and the now hacked up frame rails. I am going to wait to set the rear pinion angle until I get the drive train back in (forgot to measure before I pulled it). After staring at it for a while I figured I should put some reinforcement (1” equal leg x .125” thk angle iron) back into the frame where I notched it, also added some gussets to the top of the fwd spring hangers.