Thread: swapping axle carriers

Default swapping axle carriers

I have put a set of early 90’s Dodge SRW 1 ton axles under my M715. I would like to use my original gears and carriers. Will they go in the newer axles if I also swap the spiders so I can run the 90’s axle shafts? (I hope this makes sense)

Let me try to make this less confusing. I am trying to put the 5.86 gears and carriers from the original Dana axles into the newer Dodge Dana axles.

I have not studied that particular swap possibility very closely, but previous experiences indicates that the odds of that working are very slim. The only way to tell is to take a series of very detailed measurements for contrast and comparison to make a determination. At that point almost anything can be "made to work"...but at what time and expense costs?
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

The front gears could work,you might have to use a carrier to fit the newer axel. The rear is a nogo it uses a special offset for the ring gear thats differant from the newer dana 70's

Thanks, I just want to be sure I am understanding this correctly, the 70carrier is different, that I can see as I have both gears and carriers sitting on my bench, is the rear gear on the M715 Dana 70 useable on a newer carrier or are the gears different as well? I am just seeing if I can save a buck on not buying all new internals. Thanks again.

The gears are different too. I'm not what the differance is, it has to with the center line offset of the ring gear to the pinion. Jon has the numbers. You can all so call Randy's ring and pinion. I guess he has the info on the M715 axels.