Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of factory Hard top ?

Default Pics of factory Hard top ?

Does anybody have any pics of an original Hard top.

I have a top that is two pieces and metal and was wandering if it was an orginal.

Pleas Post a pic of one even if mine is not, so I can tell what they look like.

Thanks
    Chris

It might be easier if you post a pic of yours and we can tell if it is one of the 2 styles from the factory....

This page shows the higher, slant roof, type:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=20chap3-5

There is also a lower, flat top, type...it has almost exactly the same lower piece, only the window is narrower by a foot or so.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    It might be easier if you post a pic of yours and we can tell if it is one of the 2 styles from the factory....

This page shows the higher, slant roof, type:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=20chap3-5

There is also a lower, flat top, type...it has almost exactly the same lower piece, only the window is narrower by a foot or so.
    Thanks Jon. Here are pics. Is it the stock flat top one or aftermarket ?

That is the factory flat top...I have one EXACTLY like it!!

Here's a one in a million, does anybody know where one of these could be found?

Huh---and here I thought the DNR had actually found someone on the ball to build the one on my truck----still going to come off for a rag top however....

I thought the factory top attached to the rear inside face of the cab after installing the proper Riv-nut type attachments. Jon its shows pics in the book I sent you, check it out. It does look very simular.

Jon, page 281 shows the top is a bit wedged shape front to back, and two pieces. Lower right hand corner of page, Figure 33-A3., shows vehicle back panel preparation. The nuts are called Jack Nuts. While I would like a top like the one in the pic, I dont think it is stock.

i have seen alot of hand made hardtops on 715's an that one sure looks like a very good fit it even is in two pieces like the gov't issue, the construction is certianly machine made i dont think any aftermarket companys ever made tops for these, they were jus handcrafted i have even seen some that came from govt w handmade ones. the m-37's had 2 design hard tops so its possible the 715 did too, an early an late design? however did memphis have special hard tops made for their trucks they sold alot with hardtops over the yrs an im sure they didnt have that many govt ones.

I am well aware of the 2 different styles the manuals show...I have had mine since 1997.

The slant top type has the jack nuts...

Mine, when I bought it, came in 2 boxes with full Jeep and military stampings/stickers/markings all over them. It had its own instructions for mounting too.

The slant roof style was the one put on on the assembly line, if so ordered.

The flat top was the field supplied kit for trucks that wanted one but werent built with one originally.

Both are built by Jeep for the military and supplied through the military channels.

The bottom piece is different on the flat top in that it just has the lip to go on the cab tub but not the flanged end of the slant type, and the window is definitely smaller in width....height wise, I think they are pretty close.