Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory Winches

I say PTO or hydro winch. As long as the motor is running you can winch. Over and over again all day long. Even with the motor running the electric will kill the battery. It will also get very hot and you will have to let it cool before winching any more.
    Yes electric will get you out of a real bind most of the time if the motor will not run.
    I found my LU4 in the back of a civi wrecker, $50. Bought brackets and then found some for free. I made my own drive line from an old gas delevery truck because I am running a sbc.

I own a 72 Ford F250 W/ PTO winch, I've had the truck 25 years, and never had a problem with the PTO winch, With a pto winch you dont have to worry about burning up the winch motor, I also have 4speeds in and 1 speed out . It is true that the truck engine has to be running,but I have yet to have a problem .I used the winch for getting firewood (pulling large trees out of piles,so i can saw them up),Pulling others out of bad spots, getting myself out of bad spots, setting poles for the barn ....... etc. The nice thing about a pto winch is you can run it all day without any problems of wearing down the battery, or heating up the winch motor,I also have a pto on my M38A1 JEEP, and the M715. The electric winch can be controlled by a remote either wireless or wired, which is a nice feature if working by yourself, they both have advantages and disadvantages,Then theres the hydraulic......