Thread: Different Color Parts

Default Different Color Parts

As I get closer to reassembling the truck, the subject of parts color came up. I am painting all the steel parts the same 24087 of course but what about items like the hood mounted black-out lamp and the rear composite lights. These are a plastic or composite material and history tells me they don't paint well. I have new rear lights that are the color of CARC and the blackout light is several shades off of 24087. In the military we did not care. What are folks out there doing on a restoration?

I painted all the "extra" stuff black, including the bumpers and all attachments, jerry can, brush guard, front grill and windshield frame. I like the way it looks, gives it some variety from just OD 24087. Here's what it looks like:

1967 M715 w/w #11812

Everything on mine is Marine Corps green. My blackout light is steel and the newer "plastic" rear and front signal lights are also USMC green. The compaosite takes paint very well. If you go to the photo gallery and look under my name you will see some pictures of my truck from a while back.

In Theory, all parts should be the same color. In practice, once a vehicle was in the field for a while, parts got changed out and none of them were the same shade even if they were supposed to be the same paint. Shoot your stuff the color it is supposed to be and then just enjoy the truck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Plastic will paint fine, and in my experience 24087 will stick to pretty much anything. Just be sure to get it really clean.

The best way I find to prep plastic for this type of thing is to use a Scotchbrite pad, and AJAX cleanser. Scrub it really well with hot water. This scuffs and cleans it all at the same time and gives a good base for your paint.

We paint a lot of motorcycle plastic parts and we prep it the same as anything else, using fine grit sandpaper to progressively get the surface smooth enough for paint.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™