Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is this thing?

Default What the heck is this thing?

I feel stupid, but I cannot figure out what the heck this thing is. Here, in the lower right:

and here, in the center:

It's somehow connected to the throttle cable, but I can't figure out what it does. The little tag on the top says something about the "oil fill level" but there are no tubes connected to it. I'd like to take it out if it's unnecessary. Also, my accelerator pedal is very hard to push down, you really have to mash it. I wonder if this could have anything to do with it.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

pics no worky, in either post.

So this thread:

Need help identifying these levers

indicates that this part might be a governor, but a governor for what? The generator? The carb governor is there, mounted under the carb, so what does this govern? It doesn't appear to be hooked up, so maybe I can just remove it all and attach the throttle cable as normal.

I hope Kwai knows...I will guss that it does govern the generator...as yo notoed, thre is a governor under the carb that controls top speed of the engine...so it must govern something ese...the governor is the likely thing.

Some trucks were originally built as an M724/6217 model but were converted to an M715 later...possibility...

That's the governor from a 6217. Exactly the same as mine, thinking it was converted in 1976 IIRC. From a 715 to a 6217.

The under carb type is more of a max engine speed limit device, the type in the pics actually senses a specific engine speed and can increase or decrease throttle input accordingly. Workable as a cruise control if you want, but can be removed easily enough.

Don't toss it though! I know I wouldn't mind having an extra.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

That's a governor on a M724 chassis-cab truck. Your mico lock also is consistent. The 2 levers next to your drivers seat are also consistent. To engage/disengage the pto and axle disconnect.

Your data plates should indicate what you have.

If you want to take that off and don't need it, I will take it for spare parts for my trucks.

Yep, the data plates say M724.....I never thought to look. The title says M715. Oh well. It doesn't look like the PTO is all there. The engage/disengage lever isn't connected to anything. However, back behind the transfer case, right around where the rear axle disengages, there is a large cylinder of some kind. Any idea what that might be?

How hard would it be to get the PTO replaced and working?

Aren't these also supposed to have a generator or was that just in the bed and driven by the PTO?

The winch lever is gone, but the hole for it is there. I'm guessing, with all the stuff missing, it'd be easier to just mount an electric winch?

Did the M724 have two PTO's then? One for the winch and one in the back?

Sorry, lots of questions....I'd love to get the PTO working.

It appears that I'm missing the accelerator cable bracket for the standard hookup without the governor. The governor bracket has it's own retainer for the accelerator cable. Any ideas where I can get the standard, engine-mount bracket? I can't take this thing out without it.