Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat Frames

Default Seat Frames

I have replaced the stock seats with better low-back buckets. Now they sit tall enough that the top of the door glass is at eye level. Just wondering how those of you with aftermarket seats have solved this. I am still using stock bases and it looks to be a pita to shorten them.

Have you got a spring/bottom in good shape that you'd consider parting with?
    keith.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.zuffenhaus.us

I will have to look. I don't remember what shape my seats were in.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

When I did Grantshire's "Big Cheese" I installed MRAP seats on mid 90's Ford Explorer power seat bases. They ended up about the right height and the Explorer bases were considerably thinner than the stock seat bases were. The stock seat bases would have been too high.

The stockers typically were pretty cramped both forward and in relation to the steering wheel for anyone over about 5'9".
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I'm 5'8" and fit in my truck rather comfortably. I have a good friend that's about 6' He recently sat in the driver's seat of the truck and it looked really strange. It appeared that he had to actually bend down to look out the side window. These trucks in their stock condition, just didn't seem to be made for a taller soldier. I might add that my seat is as far back as it will go. Glad I'm alittle shorter than my friend.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    It appeared that he had to actually bend down to look out the side window. These trucks in their stock condition, just didn't seem to be made for a taller soldier.
    I'm 6'-3", and glad that the soft top "balloons" up so tall, otherwise it might feel really cramped inside the cab. However, I've also put non-stock junk yard seats in my truck that sit really low now, but I used the non-stock frame bases too. I think I liked the body position in terms of pedal comfort with the stock seat height, though. Hard to describe, but the stockers sat me "up over" the pedals instead of "behind" the pedals. Maybe it is better desribed as the feeling of sitting behind the wheel of a pickup truck versus a sports car.

I cut about 2" from the legs in my stock drivers seat.

Quote Originally Posted by MarknessMonster View Post
    I'm 6'-3", and glad that the soft top "balloons" up so tall, otherwise it might feel really cramped inside the cab. However, I've also put non-stock junk yard seats in my truck that sit really low now, but I used the non-stock frame bases too. I think I liked the body position in terms of pedal comfort with the stock seat height, though. Hard to describe, but the stockers sat me "up over" the pedals instead of "behind" the pedals. Maybe it is better desribed as the feeling of sitting behind the wheel of a pickup truck versus a sports car.
    Could a M715 be any farther from the feeling of a sports car? Lol.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I cut about 2" from the legs in my stock drivers seat.
    Did you have trouble getting everything to align again? It looks it would be like chopping an egg and putting it back together. The top looks more narrow than the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Could a M715 be any farther from the feeling of a sports car? Lol.
    Until you drop the seat down and it feels like you're sitting on the cab floor.