Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another power steering question

Quote Originally Posted by 97XJSP View Post
    supposedly this is the correct pitman arm for the FSJ box and the M715 drag link. I cannot confirm this myself but it seems correct.
    http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1315.htm
    That is the correct arm...
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Quote Originally Posted by 67M715 View Post
    That is the correct arm...
    I just received that pitman arm from BJ's the other day. It was very quick turn around.

Just an observation though. I have the stock M715 pitman arm and the BJ's pitman arm side by side and the BJ's arm appears to be upside down.

I don't think it will matter but it is not an exact match.

It is about 1/4-1/2 inch longer center to center and the drag link taper end is offset in the opposite direction.

Well I have started the power steering conversion this afternoon and hit another wall.

I have a power steering box from an 85 Wagoneer. From what I've read it is supposed to be a bolt in operation.

It is not.

The box is too long. The top of the box hits the bottom of the frame at the front of the truck. It looks like I'd need to take out at least half an inch of the frame to get the box to bolt in.

That is not going to happen.

I've looked everywhere on the box to see a 76 in the casting somewhere but do not see it anywhere.

Anyone else have this problem before? What did you do to solve it?

I'm looking for another power steering box now but am open to any other suggestions.

Interesting. I just installed a new box, from Napa for a mid-80's Wagoneer. It is really close to the front crossmember, but it bolts in. The input shaft is smaller, and the line are metric. I re-flared the lines and ordered a new rag joint for the input shaft....but it still bolted into place without problems. Didn't look for the '76' casting.

I put a 84 GW box on one of mine and I had to use a BFH and torch to adjust the front frame crossmember. I think it was about a 1/4" though. It wasn't hard, heat spot up and hit a few times and check the clearance. Took about 15 minutes.

I know it is a saginaw box because I can see an icon that looks like this on it.

The other markings I can see on it are 2 and 5.

I am a little apprehensive to be beating the frame there because it looks like it is re-enforced all around. It must be a stress area in the frame?
    Last edited by jeeper; January 6th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I know it is a saginaw box because I can see an icon that looks like this on it.

The other markings I can see on it are 2 and 5.

I am a little apprehensive to be beating the frame there because it looks like it is re-enforced all around. It must be a stress area in the frame?
    Just use a torch to heat the spot up and then a big ball peen hammer to put a dimple in it enough for the box to clear. I don't think you have anything to worry about weakening the frame.

Don't forget to check the input shaft diameter. My old power steering box of unknown origin was 13/16", the new GW box is 3/4". I can get the stock steering shaft to tighten down on the input shaft, but I am not comfortable with that. I ordered the proper 3/4" ragjoint coupler from Team Grand Wagoneer.

Thanks for the tip. The rag joint fits fine.

I'm thinking about trying the heating and beating. It looks like quite a bit of heating and beating though.

I am also thinking about cutting a couple notches first and welding them closed after I get enough clearance.

i just ground a little on the box to make it fit. it's been a while, but i only had to grind about a 1/4 of an inch off the edge of the box..........al