Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

That is what I found too Joe. I will pull the redux of RED tonight and try to bring it and the flywheel back to my room tomorrow.

The other flywheel the parts store ordered was exactly the same as what I have. So, it is either a conspiracy by all the parts people against me. (it could happen!) Or, they phased out the ones that fit direct drive starters even though the cross reference list don't show that. Or, we really do need to shim it back some. Always interesting.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have made this a class project for the afternoon and we found the answer. The diesel starters were different for manual or automatic. DD and RG both had different versions even though most newer redux starters are both. NAPA is the only place that offers even a part number for the different versions. Nobody has just a nose cone for the standard version though. I am going to check ebay from home tonight since I can't get to it from work.

If I can't find anything, out will come the grinder. Or, I might go ahead and pull the redux off RED and see if it goes both ways. Hmm...maybe my spare starter for the 1009 is a both ways version too.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Oh yes the wide mouth and the small mouth nose cones.

I'm assuming your starter has the small opening?
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

I havent been on here for a day. I'll give mine a look in a bit or 1st thing tomorrow Tim
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

My spare is a small mouth AT version only. I found a closed auction for a box of big mouth cones that went for $2.00. Nothing current though. I will try calling the nearest NAPA tomorrow and we will get busy putting the flywheel, clutch and NV4500 back together.

It sure is fun to learn new stuff that even the part stores don't show listings for.

Oreilly's, Autozone and Carquest which are all in my town had no clue what I was talking about when I called for a big mouth 27MT nose cone this morning. NAPA which is 20 miles away at least said "Let me get the book out." They found one. $16 and it will be at the store Monday.

Cheaper that buying a new starter.

Keep us posted.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

I was planning for $30.

Now that we know the flywheel is ok. I lugged that heavy thing back to my class this morning. We got it, the clutch and the bell housing back on. I stabbed the NV4500 in last week and the students said they wanted to do it this time. They found out it isn't as easy as I made it look. Maybe tomorrow they will get it in.

Warthog posted an awful picture on another site of a GEP 6.5 that threw a rod while he was trying to start it for the first time this week. Not wanting a leaking injector to do the same to me. We pulled all 8 of the short injectors which I have never tested or run out this morning. I will go borrow a local shop's pop off tool and make sure none of them are leaking next week.

Here we are at another Friday. Time for a progress report.

I picked up the manual transmission starter nose cone Wednesday and it was the right one. Holding the nose cone up to the starter mount it fits right in like it should. I haven't swapped it onto the starter yet because that is still being used to try and get the 6.2 in the '88 gulfport truck to run. We are having trouble getting fuel through the IP. I think some dirt got in there and the best bet is to swap in another IP just to see if it runs. Here is how that engine looks today:

We also spent a good bit of time pulling the exhaust off the Gulfport truck to make a simple system swap for the M715. Turns out a single outlet exhaust for an IFS truck will not work on a solid front axle truck. The angled front drive shaft is the problem. Back it is going on the gp truck. We will actually bolt it up compared to the way it was just hanging there when sold by GL though.

We got the clutch, flywheel and NV4500 back together and the engine back in the M715. The drive shaft is bolted up and the levers are bolted in:

One of my big concerns all along has been air filter housing to hood clearance. With the engine in and an intake on, I was finally able to see for sure that all will be ok:

We even got as far today as putting the fabbed up fan shroud in, the radiator, power steering pump and both alternators. Plus, the exhaust manifolds. I still have the injectors here at the house. I took them Monday to pop test and the guy letting me use his tester couldn't find the right adaptor line to hook them up. He thinks he will find it this week. I spent a few hours looking in his shop and didn't.

With the engine done being moved and the manifolds on, I felt safe putting in the new glow plugs. Next week we get to try and wire it all up, figure out how to get the power steering high pressure hose away from the exhaust manifold and start thinking through an exhaust system that goes all the way to the back.

Here it is before we put the belts and ALT 1 on this afternoon:

Putting the belts on was a shocker. I couldn't do it without pulling the radiator. Not enough fan clutch to radiator clearance. I am going to think on that some because I don't want to make belt changes a system refill every time. The fan shroud is very tight on the fan. I am going to leave it that way and see how it does when the engine gets moved from torque. I want the best cooling I can get and a tight shroud should do it.

We still need to run the oil cooler lines, make radiator hoses, hook up the heater hoses and pressure test the cooling system before coolant is added. That is one thing we couldn't check on this engine until now. A bad head gasket could still be lurking.

I told my students we are getting very close to me being able to drive it. "On the road, is it legal without a hood?" They thought I was nuts when I told them "No, around the room to the lift so we can do the brake work off the ground."
    Last edited by Barrman; January 25th, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

I really like that shroud Tim, what did you make it out of? My fiberglass shroud is about 3/4 done, I just havent spent any time on it
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15