Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

I figured that, but without being able to read emotion into the printed word. I played it straight in my answer.

I am having trouble getting clearance to bring the truck on campus. We are supposed to be doing something called Project Based Learning this week in class. Every class is supposed to be doing this all day every day. Our goal set up by somebody in Austin is to have the students pick what vehicle best represents their personality? They have to have a picture of it. Then, they have to write a descriptive essay explaining their choice. Other classes are doing thing related to their curriculum as well. Pushing a truck off a trailer doesn't fit that project description. I will keep trying though.
    Last edited by Barrman; December 18th, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Tim, I think you know me by now. Don't take anything I say seriouslly...
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

We got a lot done since the break was over. Short injectors swapped into the 6.2C engine, found out the lines have to stay with the engine they started with, single plane high rise intake on, valve covers on, make a 1985 K30 throttle cable square end fit the formerly round hole in the M715 firewall, new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate bolted up and the NV4500 was mated back to where it belongs this morning.

We also made a hard fuel line to go from the rear of the valley down to the mechanical pump, made the old lift pump outlet aslo exit the rear of the valley and made a hard line so the return fuel line will exit the rear of the valley. I added a fuel PSI sendor to the lines as well. I even made them different colors so I won't get too confused.

We also plasma cut the passenger side of the transmission mount to allow exhaust to go through there. I do not want to get stuck on top of a dirt pile again balancing on my mufflers.

I hope to get the engine bolted in next week and start plumbing everything up. Then we get to rewire everything!

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Looking good Tim. Looking forward the the video of it in the engine bay idling
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I was too George. I even had my students stop half way up so I could get a picture of it going in a few hours ago:

Just about the time we get it high enough to clear the grill I think about the starter and how people have posted they had to clearance new bell housings to fit direct drive starters.

I grabbed the starter and tried to bolt it on. It had fit with just the bell on the engine before. It wouldn't fit today. We lowered it back down some and I kept trying to get both bolts started. Nothing. The outside bolt would go in, but the oil pan side bolt wasn't lining up. The rear starter bracket wouldn't line up either.

I went over to the locked up engine and the starter bolted right up. Then I started looking at the flex plate and flywheel. The flex plate has the teeth as far forward as possible. The flywheel has about 1/4 inch of steel between the engine and the teeth. The starter is hitting the flywheel.

I went to the O'Reilly web site and did a search for 1984 K30, 1985 K30 and 1993 K30 flywheels. All the same part number: NFW1049. The front and back pictures sure do look like the one I got. They don't have an end view to see if they gave me the wrong part.

Looking up starter motors for the same different years gets the same part number as well. Nothing is asked about auto or manual.

I think they gave me the wrong flywheel. Of course, we threw the box out last week and it is long gone.

Here is a shot of how far back the teeth are on the flywheel:

We will pull the flywheel off this afternoon and see if I can find a part number on it.

Default The 396-6.2 swap project

I hate those setbacks. Good thing you checked Tim. That engine sure looks purdy
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I keep watching your thread Tim, and every time I do, I think to myself I need to start getting started on my 6.2 swap. So far I have the engine stored under the workbench.........

I also have an NV4500 too, but I am still too much attached to my TH400 and besides its already in there and working, and that NV is a lump by itself. Maybe it will end up in my other truck at some point. I'm looking for a 6BT for that waaaayyyyyyy in the future project.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Our O'reilly store has been here about 5 years now. I called them up and said I think I got a bad part. I gave them the part number and he started laughing. "No need for the ticket on this one, you are the only person in the history of the store to buy one of those. They ordered another one and I will take my just pulled this morning one by and see if they are the same. Hopefully, it is just a wrong part in the wrong box thing. Otherwise, it will turn into "what does the Autozone, NAPA and Car Quest part look like?"

If they all are the same, then I will have to try a redux starter and see if that works.

George, were is your ring gear located at on your flywheel?

Randy, pull the glow plugs, figure out a way to turn it over and do a compression check. I have 3 6.2 engines here in my class right now. The one I am putting in had all 8 within 10% of each other. The slow turning engine had a few at 0. The other engine we just tested this morning has 7 at 400-420 with #7 cylinder at 180 psi. These things were normally pulled from service for a reason. Warthog was trying a GEP 6500 yesterday and put a nice window in the pan while starting it.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Oh, its coming all the way down before I go to the trouble of installing it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Here is the Napa version. Looks the same.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...201_0315033732
    Last edited by Warthog; November 9th, 2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!