Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

That's the kind of easy answer I like to hear. Thanks.
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    Funny thing is I can start it and it will run but sounds like a washing machine fully of tin cans
    Just like my Cummins!

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    The snapped crank is the one in the Rusty M1009. Was driving down the interstate at 55moh when she let go.

Funny thing is I can start it and it will run but sounds like a washing machine fully of tin cans
    You should have heard the LDS motor in the wrecker when I snapped that crank!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

oh man I bet that sounded like Satan 0_o

Just a fast update since another Friday has come and gone.

What I thought would be a 2 day project has now dragged out to 2 weeks. However, I almost have a fan shroud. We should finish out the mounting tabs tomorrow. That means we can finally pull the 6.2 out to swap intakes, clean and paint everything and then put it back in for real.

I am going to remove the stock exhaust insulator plate from the firewall since the 6.2 manifold I have dumps out right at that point on the passenger side.

While the intake is off, I am going to make up a new hard line to run fuel down to the mechanical pump since I have a hard line on the firewall where it used to feed the all electric pump system with the 396. I might also make up a hard line for the fuel return from the front of the engine to the rear since the stock system on the engine dumps it at the passenger side front of the engine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

It was pointed out earlier in this thread that the long injectors and lines hit the heater box housing on the M715. 1988 was when they went to shorter injectors on the 6.2.

Such an engine happens to be sitting in my field. It is in a truck that started out on GL in Gulfport and stopped here on its way to Warthog in OKC. Two years ago. There is more missing from the truck than there. Including a twisted up frame. But, it could with a huge amount of work and money. Someday, maybe be made into a farm truck.

Which means I don't want to pull the injectors and lines off the engine sitting outside. It would also be nice to know if the engine will run too. No fuel lines, no starter, no pulleys, no wiring and stuff like that make it a full weekend project to test it out. I don't ever seem to have a full weekend free.

My first thought was to pull the engine out and take that into my class. However, if it works, it might end up back in the truck again and that makes a lot of unnecessary time and work.

My next thought was since the injectors and lines have to come off and get replaced with the ones pulled from the 6.2 can engine. It would be best if they were next to each other for this process. Having the truck at work would also make test firing the engine easier too.

That meant I had to move the truck though. It has no steering box and only likes to roll forward. I figure brake issues, but don't really know since the master and hydroboost are missing. I didn't know if my 8K Ramsey electric winch would pull it onto my trailer or not.

That meant Colton and I got to play with the Gasser M35 and its winch yesterday. Colton has finally gotten good at the PTO shifter and can operate it solo. Those that don't know, the M35 winch control has REV, N, LOW, N, Hi all lined up in a straight line with about 1 inch of travel total. Feeling for gears is all you can do and it takes some skill not to end up sucking the hand of the person on the cable into the spool.

I had to be on the ground because no steering box on an IFS front end means each front tire goes its own way every few feet of travel. He worked the clutch and I got to turn both tires by running back and forth side to side. We used the Gasser because we had to be able to talk to each other during the process. The screeching whistler just wouldn't allow that. Plus, the OA331 needed some running time.

Here is a picture of the former SeaBee truck half way up:

What I didn't realize until I put the picture on the computer was that more than half the vehicles in it either once belonged to Warthog, (Blue bomber and Gulfport truck), were picked up from GL for me by Warthog, (M105 trailer behind the Gasser), or had parts on them that came from Joe, (hood and bed on the Gasser). Just my trailer and the M715 front clip belonging to Sermis are not Warthog connected things.

So, thanks for making it all possible Joe!

I hope to get the truck into work some day this week so we can tear into it once back from Christmas break.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

You forgot to mention the tinted windows and the extra hubcap......
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

And the bucket seats, and the............................

There are probably a lot of things I forgot Joe. Thanks again!

Just giving you a hard time Tim.

Waiting for you to finish up on Friday.