Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

I had a Taurus fan when I first put the 396 in. I don't remember having any issues wiring it up.

I got rid of it because I blew a fuse one 105˚ day 40 miles from home while meeting Pistolnut for the first time. I didn't know the fan wasn't working and kept slowing down thinking less power needed would mean less heat for the radiator to cool. I should have kept it at a higher rpm and around 30 mph.

I put in the big Summit radiator soon after, an Edelbrock high flow water pump and a non clutched mechanical fan. No more problems except in parades and on mountains in Colorado. That is why we put so much effort into the fan shroud and making the fan clutch fit.

My transfer case is stock in the stock location. The short shaft is also stock. I based spacing front to back off of that. Then, it just is the NV4500 and 6.2.

Joe, not a problem. I put the spin on filter behind and above the engine on the firewall. I can get the filter on and off, but not with it full. A bleeder was needed. Just added to my do it later plan.

I was able to find a 3" 45˚ elbow today and will throw that on the muffler to try and cut down the echo effect I have now.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

that 6.2 sounds really nice. I have been following this swap for a while now waiting to hear it run. Nice work!

Thank you.

We have finished the exhaust. At least for now. An elbow and a bit of pipe to get it out from under the bed is all I want to mess with this week. Maybe more after I drive it and see how it does:

We spent 3 hours trying to get the brakes to work this morning and nothing to show for it. We got everything bled, but no pedal. I am pretty cofident now the master is shot. I will try to get one tonight.

The best news of the day was this morning. I went to start it after sitting since last Wednesday so we could search for exhaust leaks. I still had 3 psi fuel pressure on the gauge and it fired up as fast as my other 6.2 engines. We will try setting the alternators up this afternoon so it will start outside of my class.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Well, it wasn't the master or at least a new master didn't fix the problem. I am at a loss as to what to try next.

It sure seems like the master we put on this morning isn't throwing any pressure. I don't have a way to test it here either. I can put the plastic screw in plugs back in the master and get pedal pressure. Hook the lines up and to the floor it goes no matter how much we pump and bleed or vacuum bleed. I am just throwing BFS away on this thing.

We get a trickle of fluid at each wheel cylinder, no more air and no umph behind the fluid when we open the bleeders.

Any thoughts?

Tim,

I had a similar problem with the Amphicar some years back. The solution was to pump the pedal very very slowly especially on the back or up stroke. It seems as if it was somehow drawing air around the piston instead of drawing fluid from the reservoir.

Might be worth a try.

Gary

Tim, is it possible that the hydroboost is not engaging the MC and therefor not pumping? Maybe the rod in the hydro isn't long enough? Or the hydro is causing some problems?
    Zone holster maker

to add to what the previous two posters said.

I have bled and bled new MC's before and nothing. Let them sit a over night or till the next week and and then all of a sudden one more bleed process and everything is great.

I agree on going real slow on the up stroke, its gets tiresome.

Look down inside the MC ports while somone pushes on the pedal, you should see the piston move shortly after the pedal starts moving. Also verify that its not to long.

Im sure you know some or all of this, just covering bases.

Gary,
    Thanks for the comments. I tried super slow and really fast just because my British car history says do the stupid and it might work.

Joe, you win the prize!

I think the modern term is "palm plant" or something like that. I prefer DOH!

One of my students who is new, but very eager has been telling me for a few days that "that thing you put in by the cab is your problem. That is why the oil isn't going where it is supposed to." He can not fathom there is a difference between fluid and oil. We are working with him.

Anyway, I called the auto parts store and told them they gave me a bad master cylinder. They had to order another and it would be here tomorrow afternoon. Since we had to pull it off anyway, I pulled the lines off the master and put the plugs back in. Then I showed the students how you are supposed to pre bleed the master by pushing on the pedal by hand.

Then I had them remove the master and we put it in a vice. I went to show them how a proper "bench bleeding" was supposed to go. I couldn't push in the pistons. They were rock hard and would move maybe 1/4"! We went back to the truck and I had a student push the pedal while I tried to hold the push rod. I "thought" the Hydroboost was a solid mechanical connection and was trying to see if that was false. I couldn't hold it back. It is a direct mechanical connection.

We went back to the master and I tried a different screw driver to push with. It went inside the piston more than 2 inches. I took the screw driver over to the Hydroboost and realized the push rod was the same diameter. I was getting maybe 1/4-1/2 inch of master cylinder piston movement the last two days.

I took at 1 inch long 1/4" bolt, ground the head round and stuck it in the push rod groove of the non power brake master cylinder, put it back together and had good pedal right away. We bled all 4 corners just because, but the brakes are solid now.

Back went on the tires and I just drove it off the lift and onto flat ground so we can do the wiring without standing on stools. A big toe twitch on the brake pedal causes the tires to bark. I like it.

Jennifer just walked in to make fun of me for not sleeping last night because I was worried about my truck. She saw it was moved and I was smiling. I had to start it up for her. She was impressed that it is quieter than the bomber or either 1009. I am too for that matter.

Tomorrow, we wire up alternators, a volt meter or two and a glow plug light. Then, put the hood on and hopefully I get to drive it on the road and see what I forgot without doing damage to myself, anybody else or the truck.

Facepalm

That would be the correct term. Thanks.