Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4.0 engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I pulled my M715 home 666 miles on a flat bed with my TJ with a 4.0 no problem
    for even attempting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    for even attempting it!
    I was thinking the same thing. I pull a small camping trailer with my TJ and it has one heck of a time stopping that and I have upgraded the brake system. I cannot imagine the distance it would take a TJ to stop with an M715 in tow behind it. Not something I would ever have done.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I have a 1 ton full-size Dodge van with the extended cargo body and the longest wheelbase they make. It has 12" brakes on the rear and huge discs up front.

With a dual axle 12,000 lb trailer behind it, and the M715 onboard, and the brakes on the trailer properly adjusted, it will stop, but still its a huge load. I wouldn't use anything any smaller than it to tow the 715 with.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Imagine what vehicle enforcement or the DOT would do to someone hauling a 715 with a TJ......
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Imagine what vehicle enforcement or the DOT would do to someone hauling a 715 with a TJ......
    I have been towing trailers with vehicles with my TJ for 12 years. a couple months ago I hauled a car trailer with a 65 Chevy Impala on it for a friend. a week after that, it was a trailer with a 48 CJ2A I have come accross many police officers on my way and none have looked twice. My brakes work great and they are still stock. I do keep up on the adjustments and change the parts when they are close to worn. Its just like a semi truck. I guess my secret to success is I don't drive like an idiot.

Its just like the CJ5 thing back in the early 80s. When some idiot on one of the networks showed how a CJ5 couldn't drive like a sports car and swerve around traffic cones without rolling over. I guess it is just how smart you are at figuring out a CJ5 is NOT a sports car. I have a feeling a semi truck couldnt swerve around the cones either, nor stop as fast. so maybe they are unsafe too huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Nothing. As long as the trailer is tagged correctly and you're not advertising as a commercial hauler the only way you'd ever get attention is if you piled up and someone made an issue of it.

That being said, no way in hell would I try it.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The T18 is called a Rock Crusher trans for a reason.

For a auto trans the Jeep AW4 is pretty bullet proof.
    Umm, the Muncie M22 is the Rock Crusher.

The Aisin-Warner AW4 is a decent light duty automatic for low torque(say, 250 ft lbs) in light weight(say, less than 3200lbs) vehicles. More than that and it's, well, a good place to install a real transmission.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

Default 4.0 = 244 ci

Umm isn't the 4.0 I-6 244 ci? I would think that would be plenty of power compared to the 230. Not a powerhouse but a cool swap since it would at least keep it all Jeep. About the towing a call hauler with a TJ that is crazy. The 715 itself weighs more than the GCVWR of your TJ! My buddy tried towing a ranger on a car trailer behind his Scrambler. A semi passed him on the highway and he lost control and rolled the scrambler and trailer! Just cause you got away with it does not mean its a good idea! I wouldn't even think of pulling a load like that with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.

A good, careful driver can tow with just about anything. Should they? No, but you work with what you have. I've towed with my Samurai before - would I have done it if I had another choice - heck no! But it got the job done.
    As to the 4.0 - it would work just fine, good torque and all that. It's just if you are going to go to the trouble of replacing the motor & trans then going with something bigger would be better.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    if you are going to go to the trouble of replacing the motor & trans then going with something bigger would be better. (IMHO).
    There, fixed it for you! It's all about what the owner wants to do with it! What he's talking about is basically a modernization even swap for stock. Similar power, size, etc., but more reliable, easier parts, etc. Sounds good to me! (That said... I'm going to be ditching gas for fuel...)