Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: axle q's

Default axle q's

hey gents..
    in the soon to start project should i keep my stock axles?
    or change the out for the corp10 front and 14bolt sf rear i have on my parts truck?
    or should i go somewhere else and get different axles?

im not going too extreme.....
    just wantto make sure i plan on the right thing
    ~67 M715~

only you can answer that based on how you feel you will treat it and what you expect it to do for you.

The stock axles are most likley up to most tasks that the average m715er would ask them to perform.

What do you want is the question. Are drum brakes ok for you or do you want disks. The conversion to disks on the stock axle is expensive. Rear kits for the 14 bolt can be had at half the price of a stock conversion kit. Are you going to run stock rims? More rim options are available for the 8 bolts on the replacement axles. How are you going to drive? Highway or back roads? The stock axles are good for back roads off roading use where as the replacements are geared better for highway use.
    Zone holster maker

Like the guys said, it really depends on what you want to do and what you are willing to live with. I commuted 100 miles a day for a year in my truck with everything stock. Then after my commute turned into a few minutes I swapped axles! lol
    Stock: Slow, can't get parts for, stock or custom rims only, only 1 traction aid (Det Locker)(OK, Power Loc too - but I've never seen one for sale myself), drum brakes (they really do work fine for normal driving), the front isn't particularly strong.
    D60/14b: $$ - figure about a grand for the front and a couple hundred for the rear, any gearing you want, any rim you want, disk swap for the rear is like $150 instead of $1k (both axles Fish) for the stockers, parts everywhere, any traction aid you can think of, plenty strong unless you are going crazy - then you should just go to the Rocks & save yourself time & money.
    Ask away!
    Last edited by Ronner; January 7th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Front disc. kit was $680.00 if I remember correctly. There are also Power locks for the front and rear stock diffs, just need to find one. Marsh Racing wheels were less than $600.00 shipped to my house. I spent more on tires than I did for any one upgrade to the stock axles. I'm still running them with no problems. If your worried about breaking them or parts availability, just snag another set of axles from all these guys that are swapping them out. The larges bonus I believe is the 5.87 gearing. Maybe not a good highway gear but I don't care I'd rather go sloooow. I can still do 60 to 70 mph if I need to for a few minutes. I don't tend to drive this thing any faster than 55 to 60 anyways so stock gearing was perfect. If your not doing hardcore 4 wheeling the stock axles are just fine. The stock drum brakes are huge and stop the truck perfectly fine when adjusted properly, I do recommend a brake cylinder upgrade and master cylinder upgrade as well. If your wallet and your fab time are precious there's no reason you can't keep the stock axles and decide down the road if you perhaps need something stronger. Good Luck

do the spring perch measurements match between the chevy and jeep ones?

can i get a measurement from the holes for the leafsprings (eye to eye) and then a heighth measurement for "total" heigth of the leaf springs?
    ao im guessing from what people have told me is a corp10/d44(fronts) will be "ok" for the beggining of the project until it get bored of breaking them (like i do now) and bite the bullet to upgrade... ive allready got the diesel gearing in them for my 37's...
    they hold up when im not doing all wheel burnouts and being retarded...
    ~67 M715~

what should i do with the stock axles?....
    do they resell worth a crap? or will ig et the same offer for my axles that i did my motor "a six pack and free removal"...
    ~67 M715~

If they are at Ft. Hood, I will give you a cold 6 pack of Shiner long necks and remove them. It really just depends on who around you needs them when you are trying to get rid of the things.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

they will be in abilene this summer.. =-) maby in the shop until they get on my nerves or someone states a good price..
    ~67 M715~

why are these stock rears and parts hard to come by when almost everyone on the board talks about taking them out, there should be a ton of them laying next to peoples garages.

Duane