Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Welder

Default Newbie Welder

Hello all, I wanted to get some advice from the experienced readers on here. I have a project I am dreaming up in my head for the m715, and figured its about time I learn to weld. So, what is the best type of welder to learn on that will be heavy duty enough to weld a roll cage, motor mounts, cross members, etc. There are some cheap ones on craigslist in my area but I want to get one that will penetrate the heavy duty metal I will be using. Thanks

You can get away with a 140amp - I've done it. I have a 140amp Snap On that I built an entire 12 foot stakebody out of. I then bought a 220 volt Solar 250 amp that does real heavy stuff.
    Personally, buy the most amps you can afford. Look on craigslist - you can usually find like-new MIG welders for half of what a new one costs. Good names are Snap On, Miller, Solar, Lincoln, etc. Even Craftsman units are decent.

I'd stay away from anything from Harbor Freight or no-name welders since you may find it difficult to buy replacement items like tips, internal parts etc.

Also HTP weld - check their website. Their replacement parts/wire is cheaper than anywhere - even with shipping. They are tops...

it would be well worth the tuition to take a nite class at the local community college, a few hours there with an experienced instructor will save you hundreds of hours/dollars and frustration not counting wasted material. he can show you tricks of the trade and you could hit the ground runnin.
    i concour that a good brand name 150 amp mig is the beginners way to go.
    Mineral Estate Grantee

Quote Originally Posted by 5quarter View Post
    it would be well worth the tuition to take a nite class at the local community college, a few hours there with an experienced instructor will save you hundreds of hours/dollars and frustration not counting wasted material. he can show you tricks of the trade and you could hit the ground runnin.
    i concour that a good brand name 150 amp mig is the beginners way to go.
    yes, yes, yes. what he said!

I recommend not buying a flux core machine if you go mig--spring for the gas shielded ones. The only way I'd say flux core may be better is if you're outdoors in a breezy area, but even then, I really prefer the gas. If you buy a stick machine, make sure you get one that has DC as an option if you plan to weld out of the flat position--which you will have to many times.

I started with a 120v mig and got a 275 amp stick unit shortly after. I am now looking at unloading both of them to look for a mig/tig/stick. I am out growing my shop at an alarming rate. I think a 120 mig and stick for thick stuff would work well for you the smaller mig will do thicker steel than its rating if you pre-heat both pieces. Welders are EXPENSIVE!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

I started out with a Lincoln crackerbox stick welder. I got to the point of being passable.
    Then I broke down and got a Lincoln 140C MIG. Like night and day. The 140 "C" is the model that has infinately adjustable settings so you can really fine tune your weld's. I got the welder, bottle, regulator and cart for less than a grand.

Thanks for the help guys, best advice around once again. I will look into a class as well, seems like a good investment.

I also second that about getting a MIG that'll take gas. it makes it SO much easier and faster. if you do use flux core, or stick for that matter, be sure to thoroughly clean the area to be welded after each and every time you pause, or the next weld will be no good. (by thoroughly clean i mean hit it with the wire brush two or three good strokes, not spend hours polishing it... don't go crazy, but wiping it off with a cloth won't do the trick, either. you gotta get rid of the byproducts or it'll shield the material from being welded at all...)

also what someone else mentioned about the infinitely adjustable ones... definitely helpful. the ones that just have a few notches on each adjuster... much harder to get a nice weld out of. they'll still work, but it's more work.

I third the gas sheilded MIG and with welders what you buy is what you get. Definetly get a name brand welder and if your budget or garage will permet it, go with a 220 volt. A good 220 will do up to 5/16 inch steel, more than thick enough for the heaviest frames, but you can turn it down so it will do very thin sheet metal.

I personaly have a preferance for TIG weilders, they can do up to 1/4 inch steel and sheet metal that requires very little clean up. But they cost more, and take a little more skill to use.