Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Military Markings?

Default Black Military Markings?

So I was going through some threads and noticed that some of the trucks in Europe had black markings rather than the white ones.

Wonder if I would catch much flack from law enforcement if I went with black numbering and registered it as a Former Military Vehicle (no plates).

Any thoughts?

none. Since all active, gaurd and reserve trucks now use black markings nobody is going to give a fig about it. The black was used in Europe in the late 60s and early 70s before camoflage came into use. This was so the commies couldn't read our markings.
    Zone holster maker

You can use any type of marking you want, but its now considered a privately owned vehicle so you must register it as such, only the military can operate w/o any tags. Unless your state doesnt require tags for farm use, but Id expect it still has to be registered as such.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

In Texas, they register mil vehicles by the hood numbers, no plates or anything.

One thing that I find interesting is how different states have such variances with registration of historical vehicles, former military vehicles, etc. . .seems like California's approach is to try to figure every opportunity to get as much out of you as they can. After all, you can get a military service plate, a POW plate, etc. . but they charge you extra for taking credit for your service!!!

I was worried about the state to state thing going to the FE in CO this summer. As stated, Texas lets us use the hood/bumper numbers as our "license number." I wasn't sure about CO and NM. Unfortunately, I had to drive the M715 110 miles down I-25 due to flats on the trailer and another 200 or so miles during the FE on roads around Buena Vista. Passed and got passed by lots of police. Got nothing but waves and thumbs up.

As long as you have "proper military markings" that are at least 4" tall you are legal in Texas. As far as I know, they don't even have to be in English. Find some country with a different number system, prove through photos or something that they used M715's in service and make your truck look like the picture. You will be legal. At least in Texas.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

My truck is registered like this, but there are some stipulations. It can only be driven short distances and only for things such as parades, car shows, club events or things that involve public interest. In other words it can't be used as a daily driver. I have yet to be stopped though and I drive it around at least once a week (Nikol and I are about ready to drive to Lowes). I am wondering how it is going to be when I move to NC. I am sure I will be stopped quite often, but it is registered and insured so not much an officer can say.

I went and got the Registration sorted this morning. I love this state!

Other than the fact that this office had never done a Former Military Vehicle, it was relatively painless. The computer even had a "Military Stencil" designation in the system for the plate type, plus I didn't get hit with a fee for new plates.

My plan is to go ahead and use black markings and see if I catch any flack from local law enforcement.

I'm okay with the restrictions since I don't plan on it as a daily driver either. I figure I can use the "shakedown/maintenance" excuse for any occasional run I make in it. After all, vehicles needed to be operated occasionally to keep the seals from drying out! (thats my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here in VA, I didn't bother doing the historic thing just because of the limits on mileage, locations, etc. You're limited on historic/antique tags to 200 miles per year and parades/shows/pleasure drives. I just plated the 715 as a Jeep truck and I can drive anywhere I want. The insurance and tags are no more expensive than a regular pickup truck.

I plan on doing the same thing with the deuce as well, then no worries wherever I happen to be.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I was worried about the state to state thing going to the FE in CO this summer. As stated, Texas lets us use the hood/bumper numbers as our "license number." I wasn't sure about CO and NM. Unfortunately, I had to drive the M715 110 miles down I-25 due to flats on the trailer and another 200 or so miles during the FE on roads around Buena Vista. Passed and got passed by lots of police. Got nothing but waves and thumbs up.

As long as you have "proper military markings" that are at least 4" tall you are legal in Texas. As far as I know, they don't even have to be in English. Find some country with a different number system, prove through photos or something that they used M715's in service and make your truck look like the picture. You will be legal. At least in Texas.
    Not sure if they changed it or not, but Identification number does have to be Alpha Numeric as it is stipulated so in the Registration Form. I think this is because the computer system won't accept non-alpha numeric characters.